Saturday 1 May 2010

'Swan Song', 'To the Distant Beloved' and 'Winter Journey'

I worked recently with Patrick Allen, photographer and classical recording engineer/producer with Opera Omnia Productions on two CD covers. The two CDs Patrick needed images for are Schubert's Schwanengesang/Beethovern's An die ferne Geliebte and Schubert's Winterreise. The theme was 19th-century romance; unrequited or unnattainable love. I love modelling for historical themes - the emotion, costumes and history of it all. I made sure to think wistful, yearning, formal, damsel-ian, lace-filled thoughts as I pondered upon my fine gentleman lover who may or may not have had a trusty steed.

Below are some shots from the day (some of which involved Patrick standing on his roof while I appeared unattainably through the window...and me standing unattainably on a ladder amongst the blossom of a beautiful cherry tree), followed by four draft mock-ups of potential CD covers which Patrick has very kindly allowed me to show already.