Saturday 28 April 2012

Swathes of Lavender

Remember this post ('Fertile Lands'), SEVEN months ago? Well it turns out that shortly afterwards, the wonderful Imagesse had sent me a whole other batch of images by email which I did not receive properly! If you are a friend of mine on facebook you will be aware of my recent horror at discovering that my smartphone has been displacing the occasional email at whim and deleting it from my inbox. I happened to come across a folder accessible only on my computer (and invisible on my phone) called 'POP', where hotmail keeps emails that have been deleted on 'a device' and which it wants me to check shouldn't be kept. Clever hotmail. No fewer than 1174 emails over the last few months ago were found there lurking, unopened. Luckily, most of them were ones I had meant to delete from my phone, or else not important, but more than a very generous handful were very important, or sweet, or offering me highly-exciting work, and a few included images I had (seemingly rudely, I imagine) never seen or acknowledged! And there was me wondering why people hadn't got back to me on one or two things!! Urgh. That was a stressful evening. Unfortunately I still need to be able to delete emails on my phone as I often make the most of spare minutes when out and about in order to keep the stream as clear as possible, but at least now I know to check my 'POP' folder (a bit like a 'junk' folder, but for non-junk that your computer doubts you meant to delete) for hidden jewels.

I'm on top of the problem now that I know about my phone's mischievery, but hey - if someone doesn't reply to your email, consider this post encouragement that a gentle nudge is sometimes necessary!! Technology, eh? Who'd have it?!

Without further to do, here are some beautiful (I think) images taken in a lavender field in Gloucestershire during summer last year. I think the colour is so eye catching and I haven't seen (m)any images in this type of location before, so extra points to Perry for finding somewhere special! The flowers were so vibrant and fragrant. Modelling in places like these is so incredibly pleasurable - I'm not sure I would ever have visited a lavender field otherwise - I certainly hadn't seen one before. Mmmm, lavender honey.... And I'm now remembering for the millionth time that I need to buy myself a new calming lavender rollerball fragrance bottle to take when travelling, since they are so relaxing (and mine ran out/leaked everywhere a few trips ago). Why is lavender so calming? I was having a similar thought recently when driving through countryside... Why do humans tend to find blue and green colours so relaxing (as opposed to, say, red or orange)? Why did God choose those colours to paint the majority of the world in? Did he want us to feel relaxed/peaceful/stop killing each other, etc..? Or do we feel relaxed because the natural world is blue-y green and we find nature relaxing? And then I thought I'm thinking an absolute load of nonsense, as really an object's colour is only a secondary (not primary/essential) quality (as said philosopher John Locke), not independently objective... i.e. the colours of a lump of matter depends on the perceiver and context, like weight (where mass is fundamentally part of an object's character) ...but then maybe if we were designed to see something a certain way then the fact that we do is all that matters... Hhmmm. I'm awesome on car journeys... If I were the sort of person to write 'dot com' after words to emphasise my feelings, I would probably write 'I miss studying at university dot com'.